What is Kunjal Kriya?
Do you know? around 70% of the human immune system depends on a healthy digestive system.
i.e. The better your immune system, the better your health will be.
That means if you want to stay healthy, your digestive system needs to work efficiently.
Thanks to the Kunjal Kriya, a detoxifying yoga technique for helping us to strengthen our digestive system.
Enhancing the digestive system is one of the most significant steps you can take to improve your health. In modern times, many people are health conscious. Still, their digestive system is likely to deteriorate.
Kunjal Kriya is one of the purification techniques of Hatha yoga, especially practiced for cleansing of the Esophagus and Stomach.
It is also known as Vaman Dhauti.
Kunjal Kriya is a technique for cleaning the digestive system (from the stomach to the mouth). It includes drinking lukewarm, salty water until the stomach gets full, and then intentionally vomiting it through the mouth.
Several animals like cat, dog, tiger, cow, etc. utilize this technique to vomit undigested food. Most of us must have seen the cat eating the grass when they ate something that they cannot digest. This practice prevents the accumulation of toxins in their bodies. Thus, it is a natural method and copied from the animals.
Why Kunjal Kriya is important?
Modern people face various problems related to digestion like acidity, indigestion, gas, etc. There is a reason behind it. After eating the food, it remains in the stomach for some time. In the stomach, it gets mixed with digestive juice so that it can easily be absorbed in the intestine. But, tiny particles of food remain undigested in the lining of the stomach. These particles remain there until our next meal. When we take another meal, these particles get mixed with fresh food. This can contaminate and poison the system causing acidity. Kunjal Kriya helps us to remove these tiny particles from the lining of the stomach.
To perform this technique all we need is just water and a little bit of salt.
To prepare the solution, take one-liter water. However, you can take one and a half liter also, depending on your capacity.
Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of salt per liter of water. There is no particular proportion about quantity, it’s up to you. You can add more salt or less too.
While performing this technique, the best position is just standing and hunch your upper body in the forward position. i.e. Keep the trunk and head in the horizontal position. This position ensures the free flow of water from our stomach.
- While standing, drink a glass of water as quickly as you can. Take another one.
- Repeat the process until your stomach gets full of water.
- Now comes a time when you will not be able to drink even a drop of water. It looks like everything will come out now.
- Lean your upper body (trunk and head ) in the forwarding position.
- In this position open your mouth wide and insert 2 fingers in it. Use your longest fingers i.e. middle finger along with index finger.
- Insert the fingers as deep as you can and slide it on tongue gently in to-and-fro motion.
- After rubbing like this you will get an urge to vomit and suddenly the water will come out. As soon as the water comes out, remove your fingers immediately.
- A few movements later, the flow of water will stop.
- Again put your fingers in mouth and rub your tongue gently.
- Repeat the same process until there is no more water left in the stomach.
- This practice should be done in the morning on an empty stomach.
- For general health, it could be done once a week. However, you can practice Kunjal Kriya whenever you feel discomfort in your digestive system.
- People with the problem of low blood pressure, high blood pressure, heart problems, ulcers, and hernia of the stomach should avoid this technique.
- Before inserting your fingers in the mouth, make sure your nails are not sharp and clean.
- After performing Kunjal, Jala Neti (nasal wash) is recommended.
- Avoid eating for 30 minutes.
Benefits of Kunjal Kriya
- Kunjal Kriya gives an effective wash to our digestive system. Hence, it helps to eliminate all diseases caused by poor digestion.
- The biggest benefit of this technique is it improves the strength of the entire digestive system.
- Kunjal Kriya is a blessing for those who suffer from the problem of cough and excessive mucus. It removes that extra mucus from the esophagus and gives relief from cough.
- If you perform this practice regularly, it releases the gas from the stomach. It also minimizes the poor breathing issue.
- While performing this technique, people expel the water which is sometimes greenish. This greenish color indicates the presence of bile. By removing this bile, Kunjal kriya gives amazing relief from biliousness.
- Kunjal Kriya is beneficial to cure several diseases like acidity, indigestion, Asthma, headache, etc.
- Mental disorders cured by shock therapy by recharging mind and brain. There are few processes by which the brain and mind go in selfless condition. Vomiting is one of them followed by sneezing and orgasm. Thus, Kunjal Kriya also acts as shocking therapy and can beneficial for those who suffer from tension, anxiety, phobia, depression, etc.
- This technique helps up to rebalance our nervous system. Thus it strengthens our whole body.
- Salt is an excellent cleaning agent. When we drink salt water, it neutralizes the acids and reduces the feeling of burning.
- While performing Kunjal Kriya, the thorax area gets open up due to drastic contraction. Thus, it assures the more blood supply to the entire stomach area and respiratory tract.
- Kunjal helps to overcome throat disorder like sore throat
- During the process of expelling, strong contractions of the stomach wall take place. This result in toned abdominal muscles.
- Kunjal Kriya reduces the chances of the formation of kidney stones.
- Kunjal is one of the best yogic techniques to overcome mental conditions like jealousy, fear, hate, etc. For the best result, you need to be patient because it is not an instant process. Performing this technique for a long period can give excellent results.
Posts you may like Jala Neti